Dark Skin is Ugly

Hello Friends,
it's been awhile since the last time I wrote here.
So many things happened in this past few months.
I have a new job now and this few months I've been busy adjusting my self with my new job.
That's why I didn't wrote much here.

Anyway,
Today I'm going to talk about topic that always been there since centuries ago.
"Skin Color".


Recently I watched video about this topic.
Asian and Westerner have different preference about skin colour.
Mostly asian will say that Fair Skin is better/prettier.
Where westerner will say that Tan skin is better.

Today, I want to share to you my personal experience about "How it feels to have dark tan skin in asia (especially Indonesia)".

As everyone know already, people prefer white/fair skin in asia.
If you travel to asia and walk in beauty aisle at supermarket, you can find many "whitening" product.
There are Whitening Soap, Whitening Lotion, Whitening Moisturizer, Whitening mask, Whitening Cream, exc.
People in asia are obsess with whitening product.

For westerner (esp those who never travel to asia before) it can be a surprising that asian are obsess with whitening.
In asia, you will see a lot of people use umbrella in daylight or you will see people wearing long sleeves shirt in a hot sunny day.
Basically, they trying to avoid sun light as much as they can.






I born with tan skin.
But because we don't have "Tan" word at my languange, so when I was young people often call me Hitam (Black).
And being hitam here means you are ugly and undesirable.

Are there a lot of people make fun of me because of my skin colour?
Absolutely, yes.
Even my close friend was telling me to bleach my skin or else I will never ever have boyfriend.
Well, never follow her suggestion and I still have boyfriend anyway.


In my childhood, I don't remember anyone ever called me beautiful / pretty.
The only compliment that I got was "sweet".
In Indonesia when you have dark skin people rarely said if you are beautiful / pretty, you will just end up as "sweet".
For adult, it's not a big deal.
But for kids?
It's broke their heart when her other friend called as beautiful / pretty when she is just "sweet".


I grew up believing if I am ugly and I always feel sad with my skin colour.
I was always wish that I have fair skin so I can be beautiful.
I become a very shy person and unconfident with my self.

And there was one time when I absolutely obsess with whitening product.
Whitening soap, Whitening lotion, Whitening cream, I were only use product with whitening label in it.
I think the only thing that I never tried is Whitening injection.
Yes People, We have whitening injection too!



When I grow older and internet era is coming (around 2000's), slowly but surely I change my mindset about what beauty is.
I seen a lot more of beautiful people with dark skin and that nothing wrong with dark skin.
No matter if you have white skin or dark skin, everyone is uniquely beautiful.


If you asking, are society in Indonesia now have different mindset compared with my childhood days?
No.
Nothing change much.
You still can see people talk about this topic in blog.
And I still can see people make fun of others because of their skin color.
It's sad reality, I know it.



Anyway,
My advise for younger girl out there that feeling unhappy / bullied because of their dark skin.
Stop listening to people that saying if you are ugly because of your skin.
You are not ugly!
People who call you ugly are the real ugly one.
Be confident with yourself.
And you will be happier :)



PS:
I went to hanoi last june, should I make an blog post about my trip?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evangeline Selection Series (Sugar Biscuit, Greentea, Raw Almond, Coconut Fantasy)

DIY: Eyeshadow Primer

FOTD 17/01/2015 : Monotone Eyeshadow